TARRAGON CHICKEN POT PIE
Like Chicken soup, this pie BOOSTS YOUR ABILITY to ward off winter colds.
3Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 can (141/2oz) organic chicken broth, warmed
1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 can (12oz) fat-free evaporated milk
1 med yellow onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
30 sm baby carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
10 drops hot-pepper sauce, or to taste
1 1/2LB roasted boneless, skinless, ORGANIC chicken breasts, cubed--approx 2lb raw (leftovers work great)
3/4 sheet frozen phyllo dough, thawed
2lg egg whites, lightly beaten
3Tbsp sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 400. In a large saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat. When sizzling, add the flour, whisking to make a paste.
2. Vigorously whisk in the broth, 1 or 2 Tbsp at a time, until smooth. Whisk in the tarragon and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisking continuously, cook the sauce for 5 to 7 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add the milk while continuing to whisk. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes longer, reducing heat if necessary.
3. Melt 1Tbsp of the butter in a nonstick skillet. Add the onion, garlic and carrots. Saute for 15 minutes, or until the onion begins to caramelize. Stir in the peas and hot-pepper sauce.
4. In a 9"x9" baking dish, mix the chicken and vegetables. Pour warm sauce evenly over all.
5. Roll out the phyllo to the desired shape. Fit it over the baking dish, and seal it well around the edges with the egg white.
6. Brush the entire phyllo surface with egg white. Sprinkle the almonds over the top. Dab the egg white on top of the almonds. Cut slits in the phyllo.
7. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and cool for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 372 cal, 43 g pro, 20 carb, 12 g fat, 5 g sat fat, 110 mg chol, 3 g fiber, 854 mg sodium (use sea salt and its healthier)
THE PAYOFF. A great source of vit A, folate and potassium. Yellow onions, garlic and hot pepper help to fight off colds.